Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Rest in Peace, Krosby

Yesterday, at about 5:30 pm, we took Krosby, our two year old boxer, to the vet to be put to sleep. It was a difficult decision to make, but we know it was for the best. As I'd written the other day, Krosby's vertebrae in his spine had started to fuse together, which not only made it difficult for him to move, it was also causing him to shake, his breathing would get labored, and he didn't have the energy he used to have. For the past week, he'd mostly been laying on the couch, and we had to really work to get him to eat even once a day. He'd been on painkillers, which would help ease the pain enough that he could get up and walk around for a little bit, but even just during the past few days while I'd been home, I could see that he was continuing to get worse.

The only future he was going to have was to get more and more uncomfortable, and we couldn't stand to see him suffer any longer. I had to carry him out to the van to take him to the vet, and once we got there, the kids waited out in the lobby while Jessi and I were in the room. Jessi went to wait with the kids while I stayed with Krosby as the vet injected him with the sedative to put him out of his misery.

I'm still upset about this today, and as I'm writing this, I'm still on the verge of tears. It's not fair that this happened to him, dammit! He was so full of energy before, happy, playful... he didn't live anything close to a full life. Jessi and I had expected that we were going to go through this with KO and Krypto long before Krosby was going to be gone... but I guess that's the way things happen sometimes.

I'm an agnostic in my beliefs... but if there is any kind of afterlife for dogs, I hope Krosby has found his own Elysian Fields where he's running and playing and happy again.

Here are some photos of Krosby from happier times... and that's how we're trying to remember him.

Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby
Krosby

Rest in peace, Krosby... you deserved so much better than this. You were loved, and you are missed.

8 comments:

  1. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. I lost my beautiful boxer boy many years ago now and I still miss him. I too had to make that agonizing decision. But it was the right one. And now there are only happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an agnostic-athiest as well. I am sorry for your loss. I have always wanted a dog to grow old with. Never been able to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO sorry to hear of this....

    I've been there, as have many others...

    The only thing to ease the heartbreak is the knowledge that you gave your dog the very unique and good life, and he loved you for it!

    Al Bigley

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.