Monday, August 19, 2013

Comic Book Ads: Ball-Band Shoes!

For the foreseeable future, I'm changing things up with the comic book ads feature... as promised, I'll be focusing on some of the ads in Fawcett Comics, especially those in the Marvel Family titles. And to really make it different, I've got them sorted so we can look at a series of ads for the same product! This time around, it's Ball-Band Shoes!
ballband
Like many of Fawcett's advertisers, Ball-Band did some different kinds of ads, and the above is an example of what I think was their first series of ads (I may be misremembering -- somehow when I uploaded these ads to Flickr, the original names got lost, so my sorting got messed up). Anyway, this series featured an appealing cartoon style, and was the longest lasting of the campaigns they ran in Fawcett Comics.

ballband
ballband
ballband_0708
ballband_0700
ballband
ballband_0713
ballband_0642
ballband_0728
Of course, like all shoe companies advertising in the comics, they made all kinds of promises that wearing these shoes would make you an amazing athelete!

Actually, that may have been the middle series they did... check out what Ball-Band tried first!
ballband
ballband
ballband
ballband
ballband_0603
Those ads weren't too entertaining, were they? They also tried a different mascot character, Red Swift:

ballband_0863
ballband_0869
ballband_0894
So far as I can figure, these were the only ads with the Red Swift character... they kind of remind me of the RC Cola ads with R.C. and Quickie (which I'll get to in the future).

The last series of ads they did went in a very different direction:
ballband_0813
ballband_0818
ballband_0839
I'm not sure what they were figuring with this series... "Buy Ball Band Shoes and have nightmares that you'll go back in time and people will try to steal your shoes"???

4 comments:

  1. Even the ads in Fawcett books had superior art! The set at the beginning of this post have piqued my curiosity about Evans Krehbiel, whose work I'm not very familiar with. But all of it is eye-catching stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I wonder if consumers of the time were confused (like I am) by the product's name. I expect something to do with a "ball" and a "band." Like ball-shaped things on the sole or something. I note that Red Swift changed his name to Red Walker. Do you supposed the people at Grosset & Dunlap complained the name infringed on Tom Swift?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.