Monday, November 11, 2013

Comics Ads: Cracker Jack!

Cracker Jack has been around for a long time, and I think most of you would agree that the snack's "glory days" are long behind them. I mean, have you bought a sack or box of the stuff these days? The toy surprises used to be over half of the perceived value when I was a kid, as there'd be any number of super cool toy surprises. Sure, they were cheap mostly plastic stuff, but it's still better than the stuff in the boxes now, it's all paper.

But I digress... we're not here to complain about the prizes these days, but to look at the Cracker Jack ads that ran in the Golden Age Fawcett Comics!

cracker_0721
cracker_0805
I don't know how many ads were done featuring the talking dog seen in these two ads... but I am surprised that these were the only ones I found, as I think they're kind of fun (even if the breed of dog is different from one ad to the next)!

cracker_0887
Here's something you don't see any more... a mail-in offer through Cracker Jack? Now, I don't know if I would've been interested in this western belt when I was a kid (let's face it, the 1960s was pretty much the peak of western popularity, with shows like Gunsmoke and Bonanza still on the air, and by the 1970s, the genre would all but disappear, save for reruns in syndication), but it is kind of neat!

cracker_0906
cracker_0918
Here's a pair of ads that specifically promote the toy surprises you could find in the good old days... including some pictures!

cracker_0953
Lastly, here's another mail-in offer!

Yeah, this is kind of a short installment this time around... but next time, a bit more, with Baby Ruth and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.