Saturday, November 09, 2013

It's the Annual Birthday Post!

OK, I'm actually writing this post earlier in the week for posting today. As you read this, I've reached the age of 51 years old (unless somehow I've managed to die since I wrote this early Monday morning, in which case nobody's going to notice anything's wrong until sometime in March, when posts suddenly come to an end, but let's not get morbid, shall we?).

As I'm wont to do this time of year, I find myself looking back at my life and thinking about what I've accomplished, where I am, where I'm going, and what I'd like to do. I'd imagine that most people tend to do this, if not on their birthday, then around the first of the year or some other time.

I can't say that, professionally speaking, I'm anywhere close to where I wanted to be at this point in my life. Just in the history of this blog, I've gone from being a full-time graphic designer for the local newspaper (which paid pretty decently, although by the time I was laid off of that, there was no chance for advancement or raises) to going back to school to be a medical assistant (something I really should not have chosen... it would've been nice if somewhere before I committed to that if one person had been honest with me and said that the opportunities for male MA's are very few and far between, to be nearly nonexistent), then once I graduated from that, I went on to work at the Chehalis Tribal Head Start in their kitchen, taking a brief break from that when I was hired to work at the Chehalis Tribe's health center in medical billing (I should've never even applied for that job, as I hated medical billing when I was going to school), then back to working in the kitchen before going on to training as a truck driver and doing that for a year, and then now, working at Walmart.

This is definitely not the employment path I had in mind! You know, I would've probably been better off in the long run by applying to Walmart when I was laid off from the newspaper instead of dealing with all the other stuff. I mean, I loved going to college -- make no mistake about that -- but it's not benefitted me financially at all since then. Either that, or I should've gone for a different field entirely.

So far as home life is concerned, that year of truck driving really had a negative effect there. I feel like I'm just now starting to get close to the relationship I had with my wife and kids before I started doing that, although there's still bridges to rebuild there. It doesn't help that my current job has me working nights, but it's still a hell of a lot better than being away from home so much!

I still have yet to get to a comic convention since the last one I attended, which feels like years ago! Timing hasn't worked out well, as I've mentioned before. I'm hoping to at least get to Emerald City this winter (or would it be spring?), assuming that I can get some cash saved up for it.

Overall -- so I don't make this post too terribly long -- I'd have to say that I'm very much happier now than I was a year ago. While my job doesn't really pay anything close to what I'd like to make, and doesn't offer the kind of satisfaction I'd prefer, it's much better than driving a truck, and definitely better than no job at all. I get to sleep in my own bed at night, spend time with my wife and kids, and get to give Krypto the attention he deserves.

It's not a great life at this point, but it's a better life than I'd had!

2 comments:

  1. Happy natal anniversary, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Thank you for all the work you put into this very enjoyable blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.