Tuesday, November 05, 2013

This N That Time!

Time once again for a roundup of stuff that's either happened to me lately, or otherwise been on my mind!

What I'm Reading 

Having finished the Star Trek and Philosophy book, I'm currently reading another book in the Pop Culture and Philosophy series, The Planet of the Apes and Philosophy. Unfortunately, due to my recent hard disk failure, I've lost the contact information for the publisher of those books, so I don't have a way to let them know the first review's been written and published, nor that I'm working my way through this other book. I'm hoping that for some reason, they'll get in touch with me soon.

What I'm Watching

While I've been working on recovering what I can from the crash, as well as recreating what was lost (although not exactly re-creating what I'd written that was lost), I've been watching some Netflix. I'm currently watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie, with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. I've seen these before, thanks to the library, but I felt it was time to watch it again. I'd also recently watched some older shows, as well as a few documentaries and movies here and there. Netflix is great for background while I'm working on blog stuff!

Work

I've managed to adjust to the nighttime schedule for my job, although when I have days off I tend to sleep in sort of a split shift -- I'll come off of work and sleep for maybe five hours or so, then get up about 2 pm or so to do what I can around the house and do advance preparation for dinner, then to bed again at about 9 pm, waking up at 1:30 am or so, then back to bed at 9 am, sleeping as late as I can. I'm currently only working four days a week, working Saturday night, then off Sunday and Monday night, then working Tuesday through Thursday, and off Friday. This is my schedule this week and next, and may be my regular schedule. I'm hoping that once the holidays arrive, I'll get a fifth day, as it doesn't quite pay that well to work four days a week, but we're managing.

Cats and Dogs

Given what happened to Princess some time ago, and our subsequent adding of Puff to our household, we've been very careful about interactions between the cats and dogs. We've been keeping the cats upstairs and the dogs downstairs, although the cats try to make their way downstairs in the evenings when we're watching TV. It's Krypto we're most concerned about, as he really doesn't know his own strength. I'd like to think that he can get along with the cats all right, but we're not taking any chances.

Coming Distractions

As I've done in previous years, come December 1, there'll be the traditional countdown to Christmas, with Christmas and winter-themed comics posted every day from the 1st to the 25th. Unfortunately, I've used the last of my backlog for those posts, and don't have anything to use for next December. I'm hoping that I can come up with something, but unfortunately I've even managed to lose the list of Christmas Comics I'd been looking for when that hard drive crash occurred, so I may have to work on recreating that list again before I can hit comics shows. Either that, or I'll need to consider either re-running stuff from the past next year, or dropping the feature entirely in 2014.

Once the Christmas Comics posts end, Random Acts of Geekery goes back to its original publishing schedule, with two posts a day, seven days a week. In February, we'll have the 14 days of Romance Comics posts (there's no risk of running out there). Some of the features that had disappeared in the past will be coming back, and some all-new features will begin.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, "The Way of the Geek" will not yet be returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.