Friday, January 29, 2016

Cool Stuff: Coloring Books!

coolstuff

First things first: I want to apologize for the unexpected and unscheduled absence this week. Things got a little crazy around here for a while, and even a four-day weekend I didn't expect last week helped me catch up with things. I'll go into more detail about what's happening sometime next week, but in the meantime, here's some cool stuff to ogle and possibly search eBay for!

coloring_daffy
Still looking at some vintage licensed coloring books, including this Daffy Duck one! As you can see, this is clearly using the Gold Key/Western Publishing model, as you might expect, as opposed to the classic Warner Brothers look!

coloring_daffy2
This Daffy coloring book is a bit closer to being on-model with the cartoons, although the characterization is clearly way too helpful for Daffy!

coloring_daffy3
Here's another Western Daffy coloring book... Just how many did they make, without worrying about giving them individual titles, anyway?

coloring_dennis
Next, we've got this really old Dennis the Menace coloring book, and as you can see, they did not veer from Ketcham!

coloring_devlin
Devlin, as you might figure out from here, was Hanna-Barbera's answer to Evel Knievel, and I'm guessing that they might've originally tried to license him for the show, but couldn't; alternatively, perhaps having a lead character whose name is phonetically pronounced "Evil" didn't work!

coloring_dickvandyke
I wonder if Mark Evanier has a copy of this Dick Van Dyke coloring book? Clearly the original owner didn't care for Little Ritchie that much.

coloring_dudley
Whitman was a bit closer to being on-model with the Jay Ward characters, such as Dudley Do-Right, than they were with the Looney Tunes!

coloring_electroman
While not licensed, I thought you'd enjoy checking out the cover of this Electro-Man coloring book! I wonder if I search enough if I'd find a picture of Batman and Robin in these same poses?

coloring_fatalbert
The artist on the cover of this Fat Albert coloring book didn't worry too much about whether the characters were actually making contact with the Earth, eh?

coloring_flash
I'll never understand why Flash Gordon went into this full-on foil spacesuit look, which for me, completely defeats the purpose of him!

coloring_flashgordon
I prefer Flash's look on this coloring book, although it's still not the classic look, is it?

coloring_flintstonesbedrock
If you went to Bedrock City in Custer, South Dakota (which I never did as a kid, even though my family went there practically every freaking summer, and even though I kept asking, we wouldn't go), you could pick up this souvenir coloring book!

coloring_flintstonespark
At least this Flintstones coloring book was more on-model than the souvenir one! I wonder if I know the artist on this one...

coloring_flip
Flip the Frog was one of the earliest animation stars, as you might've guessed from his predominantly black and white look!

coloring_frankjr
I've always liked Frankenstein, Jr. I wonder if he's going to be included in the upcoming H-B comics DC is putting out?

coloring_funwithelmer
Yes, even Elmer Fudd got to headline in his own coloring books!

coloring_gijoe
coloring_gijoe2
One of these days, I hope to acquire some of these old GI Joe coloring books and trace and color books, just to be able to share them!

coloring_greenhornet
This Green Hornet coloring book may be the most valuable book in today's gallery!

coloring_gumby
Gumby and Pokey, two of my favorites from when I was a kid!

coloring_halloween
Not licensed, but a neat Halloween coloring book anyway!

coloring_hannabarbera
This Hanna-Barbera coloring book is probably a lot more recent than I usually feature here, given that Tom and Jerry are included in it!

coloring_harlemglobetrotters
Was there any Hanna-Barbera Saturday morning cartoon that didn't get a coloring book? Well, I'm guessing there was never a Scooby-Doo Movies one... Here's the Harlem Globetrotters!

coloring_hercules1
I think I may want this Mighty Hercules coloring book more than any of the others! Here's a few sample pages:
coloring_hercules2
coloring_hercules3
coloring_hercules4

coloring_howdy1
This Howdy Doody set looks like a great deal, but I can't tell how big each book was...
coloring_howdy2

coloring_huck2
This is the second coloring book cover today with a Looney Tunes character and a frog in it... weird, eh?

coloring_huckbynumber
coloring_huckcharlton
As you can see, there were a number of Huckleberry Hound coloring books, including at least one published by Charlton!

coloring_jackie
I wonder how many kids wanted a Jackie Gleason coloring book at all?

coloring_jonnypaintwithwater
Jonny Quest! I think this is #2 on my list of wants from today!

coloring_judyandjonny
I can't think of any way this crossover between Jonny Quest and the Jetsons works for me, as it means that the Flintstones are also part of the same universe as Jonny Quest!

coloring_kimba
Kimball the White Lion was one of the earliest anime programs to be shown in the US, and has been recognized by many as being one of the "inspirations" for Disney's The Lion King.

coloring_korg1
I always thought Korg was a neat idea for a TV series... none of the cavemen spoke English, but instead their own made-up language! The Charlton comic really didn't follow the historic accuracy the show aimed for, though.
coloring_korg2
Clearly, the interior pages of this coloring book gave up on the characters not speaking English!
coloring_korg3
coloring_korg4

coloring_krazykat
I can only assume this Krazy Kat coloring book was based on the later cartoon series that started going off-model from the original strips!

coloring_landofgiants
Okay, this Land of the Giants coloring book may have moved to the #1 spot on my want list from today!

coloring_landofthelost
Land of the Lost had surprisingly few licensed products, this coloring book was one of them. It's amazing to me they didn't even consider making plastic toys using existing dinosaur molds with new molds for the Marshall family, Chaka, and a Sleestak or three!

coloring_laughin
Oh, man, I want this Laugh-In coloring book, too!

coloring_lilabner
Nice art on this vintage Li'l Abner coloring book, I hadn't realized that Capp's style had changed that much over time (not that this cover was done by Al Capp, but I would imagine that his current style would've been aped).

coloring_littlelulu
This old Little Lulu coloring book is just odd to me!

coloring_loneranger
coloring_loneranger2
coloring_loneranger3
coloring_loneranger4
coloring_loneranger5
This is the first time I've posted a bunch of Lone Ranger stuff that didn't have him wearing differently colored clothes in every one (the main difference between these is the variation on his gloves, whereas there's usually at least one with a red shirt).

coloring_looneypaintbook
coloring_looneytunes
These two Looney Tunes coloring books show just how far the design of the characters went!

coloring_marvel1
coloring_marvel2
This Marvel UK coloring book is so much cooler than any coloring book we ever had in the USA, isn't it? It's a skinny Essentials, for all intents and purposes!

coloring_marvelactivity
I suspect this Marvel Activity Book wasn't one of the Owen McLaren-produced books, but I could be wrong!

coloring_mightymouseeraseable
I always like finding Mighty Mouse stuff, especially if it's somewhat unusual!

coloring_nanny
I have to admit, I didn't know there was a Nanny and the Professor coloring book until I saw this one on eBay! It was when FX started running reruns of this show back when that channel first started that I realized this was where I started my attraction to women with British accents (aided and abetted by later exposure to The Avengers and Emma Peel, obviously).

coloring_newtandtewt
Did you know that Newt and Tewt had their own coloring book? Neither did I, until I came across this one.

coloring_osmonds
I wish I had a larger photo of this Osmonds coloring and activity book, based on their TV cartoon!

coloring_paradeofthecomics
This is an awesome coloring book with all sorts of comic strip characters... can you name them all? I sure can't!

coloring_peanuts
coloring_peanutslucy
Charles Schulz's art style is so perfectly appropriate, I can't imagine they would've needed to do more than enlarge his panels for each page of this coloring book!

coloring_pebblesbynumber
Pebbles Flintstone color by number book!

coloring_phantom
As cool as this Phantom coloring book looks from its cover, wouldn't it have been about 100 times cooler if Charlton had published one, and had Jim Aparo do the artwork for it?

coloring_pixiedixiepaint
All Hanna-Barbera characters seem to have eventually headlined their own coloring book, it seems!

coloring_popeyerecolor
coloring_popeyesweepea
coloring_popeyetv
A couple of Popeye coloring books here!

coloring_porky
coloring_porky2
coloring_porky4
coloring_porkydot
coloring_porkypetunia
coloring_porkypig
coloring_porkypig3
coloring_porkyracig
And with this whole mess of Porky Pig coloring and activity books, we'll wrap this up... but fear not, I will (with any luck) continue the coloring book parade on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Great collection! I hadn't seen most of these before. My old hero Alden McWilliams on the Flash Gordon cover (admittedly not his greatest painting)...could that be Luis Dominguez on Korg? I 'm sure that even as a kid I would have noticed the interior artist on Mighty Hercules re-used the Newton and Tewt poses from the cover. Where was the Phantom book published? The price is in cents but he's wearing his European Red costume. Did real kids actually yearn for a Dick Van Dyke Show coloring book?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.