Monday, May 30, 2016

Geek TV: Supergirl Season Wrap-Up!

geektv

So, most of the geeky TV shows I watch have had their season enders aired, although I'm still trying to catch up with them at this point. As I finish watching them, I'll be posting Geek TV entries about them... and there will be spoilers, so you've been warned!

Supergirl has been an uneven series in its freshman year. The first few episodes were great, but there were a few missteps along the way (most notably, I think, the Red Tornado episode, with a very clunky looking RT), but for the most part, it's been very enjoyable.

I think my favorite episode has to be the one where the Flash crossed over. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the idea that Supergirl exists in a separate reality from Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow, but I kind of figured that was going to be the case when Kara mentioned that her Earth has a second superhero, so that was that.

There were a lot of surprises along the way... I have to admit, I was surprised when we found out that Hank Henshaw was really J'onn J'onzz (or rather, J'onn replacing him when he died)! Having Kara's aunt (as well as other Kryptonians) still being around and being threats to Earth was surprising as well. To be sure, there have been a lot of variations from what I've come to think of as Supergirl's continuity (such as adding a sister to the Danvers family, changing the Danvers themselves), but these have been fun changes. I really don't have a problem with an adaptation from comics making changes, so long as those changes really add something to the show. Giving Kara a sister gives her family, which is a good thing.

I have to admit, I'm still not really happy with Kara and Jimmy Olsen as a potential couple, and that's not because they decided to reimagine Jimmy as being black (let's face it, there has been a lot of "interracial" couples in the DC tv shows, and I think it's great that they don't make a big deal out of it, just like they don't make a big deal out of the gay characters on the show). I'd rather see Kara and Winn get together, but that may be because I identify more with Winn than Jimmy.

Of the supporting cast, however, I think my favorite one has been Cat Grant. In the beginning of the show, she was a bossy, bitchy, Type A personality, but she's grown on me as she has grown through this season. We already know that CBS passed on a second season of Supergirl, and it's moving to the CW (as well as moving production to Vancouver with the other CW DC programs), and there's apparently a concern that Calista Flockhart may not return to the role, and I think that would be a big loss.

I have to admit that some of what I like about this show has to do with how certain elements seem to have been gleaned from things I've written and posted here (although I guess the comics included those elements before the show, although after I've posted them). I can't say that anyone read what I'd done and used them, because there's no way I can prove anything. The idea that Kara is actually older than Kal-El but came to Earth later was something I'd written in my "Man of Steel" story I started here a long time back (basically an Elseworlds with Superman as Doc Savage), and it seems that the variation on Brainiac they used, Indigo, bears a lot of similarities to how I wrote Brainiac for my post about the Superman movie I'd like to see. I'm sure it's all coincidence.

Kara's character arc this season has been pretty intense... she's learned things about herself, and her family, that hasn't always been positive, but we've seen her grow into her role as Supergirl, and learn how to be a better superhero. She's certainly suffered losses, but her optimism still shines through in the end.

The season ended with a mystery, another Kryptonian ship crash-landing on Earth, with a mystery occupant. We don't know who's inside it, other than it's a surprise to Kara. I'm guessing whoever is in the ship is someone Kara knows, but we won't find out until the new season (although I'm sure there is speculation galore out there). I have a few ideas, that I'll share:

1. It's Baby Kal-El. This would be the oddest idea, of course... How could it be her cousin as a baby? There are two possibilities here -- the first is that Supergirl is going to have to get this ship back in time to when it was "supposed" to land on Earth, while the other is that it's Kal-El from an alternate reality. If it's the former, then it could be a fun idea (although I don't know how she'll pull off time travel); if the latter, it could very well suck.

2. It's Streaky. Streaky the Supercat was a staple of Silver Age Supergirl stories, although in those tales, Streaky was an Earth cat exposed to a form of Kryptonite that gave him powers. This doesn't work well because we've never seen a Kryptonian cat at all in the Krypton flashback sequences, so it would really be pulling it out of their ass.

3. It's Krypto. Now, this idea I really love, because a live-action Krypto is something I've been wanting to see for a while, even if he's traditionally Superman's pet, and not Supergirl's. This seems to be the most popular theory, but I think there's a better possibility...

4. It's Zor-El and Alura. Yes, Supergirl's Kryptonian parents. You will recall in the original Supergirl stories that they survived the death of Argo City by being transported to the Survival Zone (a variation on the Phantom Zone), and remained there until Supergirl freed them, and they subsequently moved to the bottle city of Kandor. There's no Kandor in this reality (or at least we haven't been shown it yet), but it could be interesting to add them to the mix. Perhaps to avoid having more super Kryptonians, maybe something's happened where they've lost their powers, or will lose their powers (introducing Gold Kryptonite to the mix), and it'll give Kara another set of parents to guide her. I haven't heard anything to support this, so it's just an idea.

5. It's Power Girl. As in, it's the Kara Zor-El of another reality, who needs to create her own identity. While this could be a fun idea, I think it's way too early in this series to be dealing with doppelgängers (as they refer to them on The Flash).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.